George Chin

Construction/Zoning Official

609-490-5100 Ext. 622

Sandy Belan

Administrative Assistant

609-490-5100 Ext. 617

Dave Bell

Housing Inspector/Zoning Officer

609-490-5100 Ext. 407

Chad Reed

Fire Official/Housing Inspector

609-490-5100  Ext. 617

  • Building Permits

    You must obtain a Permit from our Construction Office before making the following changes to your house:

    Repair Type Permit Type
    Replacing or repairing a roof Check with Construction Official
    Porch, patio and stair repairs Check with Construction Official
    Installing a dishwasher Check with Construction Official
    Replacing an electric stove with a gas stove Check with Construction Official
    Installing new wiring or additional outlets Electrical permit
    Increase power service to home Electrical permit
    Installing a new furnace, boiler or hot water heater Plumbing permit
    Installing ductwork Check with Construction Official
    Constructing a fence Zoning permit
    Replacing a fence Check with Construction Official
    Installing a fireplace or repairing chimney Check with Construction Official
    Build or erect utility buildings, including aluminum or wood sheds Zoning permit
    Repair garages / accessory buildings Check with Construction Official
    Installing a hard surface driveway Check with Zoning Officer
    Install above-ground swimming pool Construction permit
    Create additional off-street parking Check with Construction Official / Zoning Officer
    Pipe leaders to existing storm drains Check with Construction Official
    Install exterior entry to basement Construction permit
    Install driveway post light Electrical permit
    Demolish sheds and/or buildings Demolition permit
    Installing a water softener Plumbing permit

    DOWNLOAD: Zoning Permit Application

    The following improvements will increase your assessment:

    Remodeling of kitchen or bath Construction permit
    New exterior siding and veneers Construction permit
    Adding a sun deck, patio or porch Construction permit
    Installing an in-ground swimming pool Construction permit
    Plumbing alterations, modernization and tiling Construction permit
    Finishing a basement or attic Construction permit
    Additions of any kind Construction permit
    Installing central air conditioning Construction permit

    Other improvements and alterations not listed may need a permit, so it is a good idea to contact the Construction Office to make certain.

    You do not need to obtain a permit for ordinary repairs on a one- or two-family dwelling. These include:

    • Repairing roofing or siding with like material, if the area does not exceed 25 percent of the total area within one year
    • Repairing or replacing duct work
    • Installing flooring material, including tile, linoleum and carpeting
    • Painting the exterior or interior
    • Replacing any window or door, if no change in the dimensions or framing of the opening is involved
    • Covering walls, plastering or placing drywall on an existing wall
    • Replacing glass in any window or door, if the replacement glass conforms to minimum requirements
    • Replacing any faucet or valve, if the piping system does not have to be altered
    • Installing window boxes or shutters
    • Window glazing and puttying
    • Landscaping work
    • Installing new gutters and leaders
    • Installing storm windows or doors
    • Repairing existing driveways or sidewalks

    For more information, contact the Construction Office.

    About Added Assessments:
    Certain improvements to your home will increase its value and, as a result, your property tax assessment will increase. You will receive an Added Assessment tax bill at the end of September after the improvement is substantially completed for its intended use. This bill will be payable on November 1, February 1 and May 1, and then the added assessment amount will be included in your annual tax bill for the new year. If you did not receive an Added Assessment tax bill for work completed in the previous year, you will receive an “Omitted Added Assessment” bill in addition to an Added Assessment bill in the year following the improvement.