You must obtain a Permit from our Construction Office before making the following changes to your house:

Repair Type Permit Type
Replacing or repairing a roof Check with Construction Official
Porch, patio and stair repairs Check with Construction Official
Installing a dishwasher Check with Construction Official
Replacing an electric stove with a gas stove Check with Construction Official
Installing new wiring or additional outlets Electrical permit
Increase power service to home Electrical permit
Installing a new furnace, boiler or hot water heater Plumbing permit
Installing ductwork Check with Construction Official
Constructing a fence Zoning permit
Replacing a fence Check with Construction Official
Installing a fireplace or repairing chimney Check with Construction Official
Build or erect utility buildings, including aluminum or wood sheds Zoning permit
Repair garages / accessory buildings Check with Construction Official
Installing a hard surface driveway Check with Zoning Officer
Install above-ground swimming pool Construction permit
Create additional off-street parking Check with Construction Official / Zoning Officer
Pipe leaders to existing storm drains Check with Construction Official
Install exterior entry to basement Construction permit
Install driveway post light Electrical permit
Demolish sheds and/or buildings Demolition permit
Installing a water softener Plumbing permit

DOWNLOAD: Zoning Permit Application

The following improvements will increase your assessment:

Remodeling of kitchen or bath Construction permit
New exterior siding and veneers Construction permit
Adding a sun deck, patio or porch Construction permit
Installing an in-ground swimming pool Construction permit
Plumbing alterations, modernization and tiling Construction permit
Finishing a basement or attic Construction permit
Additions of any kind Construction permit
Installing central air conditioning Construction permit

Other improvements and alterations not listed may need a permit, so it is a good idea to contact the Construction Office to make certain.

You do not need to obtain a permit for ordinary repairs on a one- or two-family dwelling. These include:

  • Repairing roofing or siding with like material, if the area does not exceed 25 percent of the total area within one year
  • Repairing or replacing duct work
  • Installing flooring material, including tile, linoleum and carpeting
  • Painting the exterior or interior
  • Replacing any window or door, if no change in the dimensions or framing of the opening is involved
  • Covering walls, plastering or placing drywall on an existing wall
  • Replacing glass in any window or door, if the replacement glass conforms to minimum requirements
  • Replacing any faucet or valve, if the piping system does not have to be altered
  • Installing window boxes or shutters
  • Window glazing and puttying
  • Landscaping work
  • Installing new gutters and leaders
  • Installing storm windows or doors
  • Repairing existing driveways or sidewalks

For more information, contact the Construction Office.

About Added Assessments:
Certain improvements to your home will increase its value and, as a result, your property tax assessment will increase. You will receive an Added Assessment tax bill at the end of September after the improvement is substantially completed for its intended use. This bill will be payable on November 1, February 1 and May 1, and then the added assessment amount will be included in your annual tax bill for the new year. If you did not receive an Added Assessment tax bill for work completed in the previous year, you will receive an “Omitted Added Assessment” bill in addition to an Added Assessment bill in the year following the improvement.